Kansas Thespian Conference
January 7, 8, 9 2016
Century II and Hyatt Convention Center, Wichita, KS
What happens at a Kansas Thespian conference?
The conference is a total theatre experience. Over fifty workshops are presented for students and sponsors who attend. Sample workshops include, make-up, directing, acting, improv, costuming, dance, scenic design, stage combat and lighting. This is a partial list of workshops presented. Each school may bring one-acts for performance. They may have a regular length show adjudicated for a mainstage performance. Thespians may audition for college and Thespian scholarships. A theme dance and a talent show are held in addition to other theatrical late night activities such as improv and charades. There is also a silent auction which takes place throughout the weekend.
This is a 3 day event with days starting as early as 7am and getting over at midnight.
Who may attend the Kansas Thespian Conference?
All schools with an active Thespian troupe are eligible to attend. Goddard’s Thespian Troupe is #1840. You do not need to be an inducted member of the thespian troupe to attend. You may be invited to attend by your Troupe Sponsor (Mrs. Oettle).
COLLEGE / SCHOLARSHIP AUDITIONS
1. Audition guidelines are included as well as posted on the website – go to www.kansasthespians.com and click on the ‘State Conference’ tab to find the document. Please be sure to read all the information!
2. Only graduating inducted seniors are eligible for these auditions.
3. Students must be on record as members of the International Thespian Society by November 1st.
4. There is no limit to the number of students who many audition or present a technical portfolio for the colleges.
5. Audition fees ($41.00 for each student participating in the auditions) are paid when registering for auditions on Acceptd.
6. To complete the audition application, students must go to http://app.getacceptd.com/ksthespians and follow the instructions posted.
7. Online applications must be completed by November 15th. (YOU MUST ALLOW TIME FOR AN EMAIL TO BE SENT TO YOUR SCHOOL COUNSELOR TO COMPLETE INFORMATION AS WELL – PLEASE PLAN AHEAD!)
There are NO exceptions to this deadline; i.e. illness, sponsor, counselor, technical difficulties, etc. Students, Parents, Sponsors, or Administrators should not call or email asking for exceptions.
INDIVIDUAL EVENTS (IE’s)
Individual Events are an opportunity for students to receive constructive feedback on prepared theatrical material and technical designs. The goal for participating students is to find their talents, strengths, and weaknesses and to grow as theatre artists. IE’s are presented on Thursday afternoon at the conference. Events include: Monologue, Duet Acting, Group Acting, Solo Musical Theater, Duet Musical Theater, Group Musical Theater, Scenic Design and Costume Design.
Separate registration forms must be submitted for each event by November 1. There is an additional fee for participation in these events and must be added to your conference registration.
All events are listed on the website with explanation and scoring sheet. Look for the links beginning with NIES or I.E. and find out more about these popular events! www.kansasthespians.com
Questions? Please contact Mrs. Oettle at firstname.lastname@example.org