What is Eco-Meet?
- Eco-Meet is an academic competition with College scholarship money awarded as prizes, for both team and individual winners.
- Regional Competition is in early October and State Competition is in early November.
Who is the sponsor?
What do I need if I want to participate?
- Interest in Kansas animals and plants
- Willingness to learn about Kansas animals and plants
- Ability to meet at various nature areas on different days
- Willingness to try new things and be creative
- Enjoys being outdoors
- Outdoors sportsmen/women are welcome, but anyone can join!
In what events do teams compete?
- General Ecosystem Test
- Specific Wildlife Test
- Tests are written as multiple choice tests in a station-to-station format. Work at your own pace.
- Scavenger Hunt (plants and related topics)
- Competitors are given a list and have to collect and bring back materials on the list. Resources (books) are allowed.
- Interpretive Event
- Teams create and perform a 5 minute skit showing interactions between Kansas organisms including predator-prey, habitat, reproduction, special and unique features, and life cycles
- This one is a LOT of FUN!
How many people can be involved?
- Each team consists of 3-4 people. Two team are allowed to compete, but more people can be involved.
- Anyone interested in learning more about Kansas plants and animals and natural history in general is welcome to be a member
When do I join Eco-Meet?
What is the time commitment:
- Eco-Meet practices occasionally after school, Tuesday evenings, and some Sunday afternoons throughout September. Practices will continue through October if your team qualifies for State competition which is in November.
Goddard has competed in the State Eco-Meet competition since 2000. We have placed in the top three since 2003. One student earned nearly $1500 in scholarship money over the years she participated.